Dr. Sathi obtained his B.S. Neuroscience with high distinction in research, summa cum laude and was salutatorian of his graduating class at the University of Rochester (1985). He is also a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
He finished his M.D. at Harvard Medical School (1989) in Boston, MA and continued his interest in the neurosciences by training in neurosurgery.
He served as general surgery intern and neurosurgery resident at the Harvard Medical School program, The Children’s Hospital and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, MA (1989-1995). He also supervised the cerebrovascular research laboratory involved in neuroprotection. After finishing his residency, he entered a skull base and cerebrovascular surgery fellowship under the tutelage of Dr. John Tew, Jr. a Mayfield Institute and the University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH (1995-1996).
He has published numerous original papers in journals such as Neurosurgery, Surgical Neurology and Journal of Neurosurgery. Dr. Sathi has authored several textbook chapters on management of brain disorders. He has made numerous national presentations at various conferences on neurosurgical issues. He continues to remain active in education of medical students, nurses and physician assistant students. He has received numerous honors for his research activities over the years.
Dr. Sathi is the founding member of Long Island Neuroscience Specialists. This practice is a multi disciplinary group of neuro-spine surgeons and interventional pain management anesthesiologist. Dr. Sathi has been in practice in Suffolk County, Long Island, NY for greater than thirteen years. He focuses on both complicated brain and spine surgery and newer less invasive procedures including kyphoplasty and dorsal column stimulation. His practice includes treatment of herniated disks and fractures in the spine. He also has significant experience in frameless stereotaxis and image guided brain tumor surgery. Dr. Sathi has expertise in treating brain tumors including metastasis, gliomas, meningiomas, acoustic schwannomas and trigeminal neuralgia using gamma knife radiosurgery.
He is chief of the division of neurosurgery at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital and John T. Mather Memorial Hospital since 2000. He served as Chief of Neurosurgery at St. Charles Hospital from 2000 to 2016. He is the past President of the Medical Staff at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital. Dr. Sathi is the Medical Director of Neurosciences and Back and Neck Center at John T Mather Memorial Hospital. Dr. Sathi is also the Co-director of the Brain and Spine Tumor Center at John T. Mather Hospital.
He has served on the Board of Directors and on the Medical Board at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital. He also is a clinical assistant professor of neurological surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College. He is board certified since 1999 and has renewed his certification in 2009.
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
Brigham & Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
Brigham & Women’s Hospital, The Children’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
Cerebrovascular/Skull Base Fellowship
Maryfield Neurological Institute, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
Spinal Surgery for herniated discs, degenerative conditions and tumors in the back and neck. Brain tumors including meningiomas, gliomas, metastasis and pituitary tumors, neuro-spine trauma, gamma knife radiosurgery, trigeminal neuralgia, kyphoplasty and dorsal column stimulator implantation
Clinical Assistant Professor of Neurological Surgery, Weill-Cornell Medical College, New York, NY
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurosurgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- New York State Neurosurgical Society
- Suffolk County Medical Society
- Brookhaven Memorial Hospital
- John T. Mather Memorial Hospital
- St. Charles Hospital
- St. Catherine’s Medical Center
- South Nassau Communities Hospital
Honors & Awards
- Listed in “Guide to America’s Top Surgeons,” 2007 – to date.
- Chief, Division of Neurosurgery, Brookhaven Memorial Hospital, East Patchogue, NY 2000 – to date
- Chief, Division of Neurosurgery, John T. Mather Memorial Hospital, Port Jefferson, NY 2002 – to date
- Chief, Division of Neurosurgery, St. Charles Hospital, Port Jefferson, NY 2002 – 2016
- Long Island Health Care Hero Award, 2011
- Community Service Award, Shanti Fund, 2007
- Research Award, The Boston Society of Neurology and Psychiatry, 1993
- Best Research Presentation, Massachusetts Medical Society Student Symposium 1988
- DeKiewiet Research Award, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 1984